|Tara's Writing Studio
Where Fuzzy Writing Gets Clear
Editing Projects (partial list)
Large: books, web content
- Provided developmental edit and copyedit, and some rewriting, for the author of a book relating to spiritual living. Created a style guide as I worked, to ensure consistent styling and usage.
- Copyedited two books relating to spiritual living. Created a style guide to ensure consistent styling and usage.
- Edited three books for a retired medical professional who is also a published author. I first did a substantive edit, which included reorganizing sections and chapters, creating tables and appendices, some rewriting, and revising tables of contents and lists of tables. Then I copyedited.
- At a client's request, reduced thirty files of draft web content to twelve, then edited and refined from there. Though this project required three months of my time, I met the client's goal of launching the site within ten days by suggesting that we post just one or two files per week.
Small to Medium: flyers, training guides, web content
Writing Projects (partial list)
- Converted narrative text describing an Aging and Spirituality course into an easy-to-read promotional flyer. Made minor grammatical corrections, deleted repetition and irrelevant information, converted long sentences to succinct bullet points, and made dates, times, and place highly visible.
- Helped a client with strong writing skills gain confidence in the quality of her website by improving the grammar and punctuation. In some cases, the client and I edited passages together, and in others, I did original writing and rewriting.
Large: corporate profiles, reference manuals, trainer guides
- Wrote a three-thousand word profile of a corporation in the sustainability and restoration industry. Described the company's leadership, mission, products, and services, and how it benefits the industry as a whole. Reviewed pertinent written materials and websites and interviewed management personnel and major customers.
- Wrote user guides, training manuals, reference guides, and sales-and-marketing quick starts for computer systems. Reviewed existing documentation, tested systems, and interviewed developers and end users.
Small to Medium: articles, letters, reports
- Researched and wrote a major article about sustainable landscaping for a quarterly magazine. Searched the Internet and interviewed numerous subject-matter experts for pertinent information.
- For a non-profit corporation, investigated issues impacting California's forests and wrote weekly reports. Also wrote newsletter articles about the impacts of state and federal legislation on California's forests.
- As a freelance journalist, reseached and wrote feature articles and shorter pieces for weekly and monthly publications. Topics included health, the environment, business, and politics.
- Wrote annual appeal letters for a non-profit corporation.
Garden by Beth Hansen-Winter
Photo by Roberta Ryan
Copyright © 2010 Tara Treasurefield